Hi, my name is Karen. I am a sensitive, respectful and widely experienced therapist. I work with high standards of integrity and adhere to a professional code of ethics and good practice. My core model of therapeutic understanding is Psychodynamic, which is informed by additional trainings in the Systemic, Psychological First Aid (Trauma), Cognitive Behavioural (CBT), Interpersonal (IPT) Therapy and Relationship Counselling theoretical approaches. This allows my work with individuals to be flexible and adaptive in order to be most helpful to my clients. I am also a qualified Clinical Supervisor.
Just as everyone is unique, the length of the Counselling or Therapy can be tailored to match the need; whether you are limited for time, wish to focus on a particular difficulty or situation, or would prefer a deeper exploration requiring a longer period of support. Over the last 14 years my clinical practice has involved working with both individuals and couples in various settings and organisations (including the NHS and Relate), as well as in private practice. Alongside my clinical work with clients, I have also found providing clinical Supervision to Psychodynamic and Multi-disciplinary therapists, individually and in groups, to be an extremely rewarding experience.
Training, qualifications & experience:
I have trained in a wide variety of therapeutic approaches and worked clinically with a very diverse caseload of clients. I have worked as a Therapist and Supervisor in Charitable Community Counselling Centers, Schools, NHS, NCH alongside Social Services, Employee Assistance Programmes (as a manager and clinical supervisor, but also as an affiliate therapist), Relate Counselling Centers, GP practice within a very busy and challenging inner city location. Additionally I have many years of private practice in Hertford.
I have also worked as a Clinical Supervisor to Counsellors and Therapists during and after training. I have provided supervision to qualified practitioners in training in professional and charitable organisations, as well as in my private practice.
- 1998 – 2000 OCR Diploma Foundation and Certificate in Counselling.
- 2000- 2002 University of Hertfordshire. Diploma in professional studies of Psychodynamic Counselling.
- 2000-2002 WPF (Herts & Beds Counselling Foundation). Diploma in Psychodynamic Counselling.
- 2002-2004 WPF (Herts & Beds C Foundation). Advanced Diploma Psychodynamic Counselling.
- WPF (Herts & Beds Counselling Foundation). Advanced Certificate in Counselling Skills.
- 2005-2006 Relate Central Office. Fast Track in Couple Counselling (Systemic).
- 2006 Oxford Cognitive Therapy Centre. Post Grad course in Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT).
- 2006 Herts & Beds in association with CID Training. Diploma in Critical Incident Debriefing.
- 2008 WPF (Herts & Beds Counselling Foundation). Diploma in Supervision of Psychotherapists.
- 2013 University of Surrey Camb & Peterborough NHS Trust. IAPT: Interpersonal Therapy
My Professional Memberships:
- UKCP United Kingdom Council for Psychotherapists
- BACP Accredited member of the British Association for Counselling and Psychotherapy
- UKRC United Kingdom Register of Counsellors
- BAPPS British Association of Psychodynamic Psychoanalytic Supervisors
- IPT UK Interpersonal Therapy United Kingdom
- “Thank you so much for always taking me seriously and getting me to this point where I can now move away and happily take care of myself.” Ali, 17.
- “Thank you for all of your unwavering support through the laughter, the tears, through everything and mostly for being there that day I really needed you.” Sharon.